Thursday, April 26, 2012

Yummy Dinner!

Just to add one more of the many things I may blog about, I thought it'd be fun to add some recipes that my family and I enjoy.  Three years ago, I'd never even remotely be able to blog about cooking because I literally did almost none.  Becoming a mother has GREATLY improved my domestic skills. Actually, I am a really good cook.  On a kind of funny side note, my whole family loves to razz on me about how I suck at cooking and am an awful housekeeper (well, how I WAS both a crappy cook and housekeeper).  My mom is endless trying to stand up for me about this with everyone else.  Mainly because she is the only one that reaps all my cooking goodness.  Anyhow, a few weekends ago, we had my brother and his family and my aunt and uncle came over for lunch.  A made some ridiculously yummy shish kabob (which I cut up all the veggies for him...hey I want a little credit!) and I made my mom's famous macaroni salad (dang...just thinking about it makes me hungry for it).  We had some corn on the cob and a fruit salad my mom brought.  I also made this amazing oreo pudding for dessert.  I think everyone left completely shocked at how good the food was (my sister in law later texted me she couldn't get the macaroni salad out of her head it was so good and my brother raved to my mom how yummy everything was).  It was really nice to have a chance to prove myself!  One of my year goals was to clean the basement and it actually looks really good now.  Anyway, my sister in law has never been allowed in my basement because it was SOOOO bad and I was super embarrassed.  She finally got to see it when they came too.  Add to the good food and clean basement, I was almost finished with clearing out the garden area....needless to say, I think my brother was SUPER impressed.  It felt really good.  In the past, I've definitely had my lazy moments, but I am proud of how far I've come and it's always nice to be appreciated for it!

OK, that was a huge aside there....sorry.  Back to my dinner last night.  Every now and again, I pick up little packets of seasonings to try.  Usually, they are just so-so, but recently I picked up a McCormick gourmet Garlic and White Wine Chicken Scaloppine mix and followed the directions on the back and it was really tasty.  I did make a few alterations to the recipe...it calls for mushrooms, but I'm not a huge mushroom lover so I substituted asparagus...it also said you could use water or chicken broth, I usually chose chicken broth because it adds more flavor.  The directions say that you should use chicken breasts and cut them in half to make them thinner.  I had bought some chicken on sale a bit ago that is cut up like chicken fingers.  These worked really well because I didn't have to do any prep on the chicken.  I'm not kidding, this was a really great dinner and it was SOOOO easy!  I was in my flower bed till 5:45pm last night and I had dinner on the table by 6:10pm.  I would absolutely recommend this seasoning packet and the recipe on the back.  I would imagine if you didn't like mushrooms or asparagus, you could probably substitute broccoli or zucchini.
Here's a picture:

No comments:

Post a Comment