Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I LOVE Reading!!!

I am going to take a few minutes to gush about my favorite authors.  First let me explain what I enjoy reading.  Kudos to my friends who love reading biographies and nonfiction, but for me...no thanks!  I much prefer to read fiction.  I love books that take me somewhere other than my life!  I like a good mixture of scifi (vampires, ghosts, ESP, etc), mystery, and love in my books. 

A few of my favorite authors are Charlaine Harris, Stephen King, Dean Kootz, Iris Johansen, Sandra Brown, Kay Hooper, Tami Hoag, John Grisham, Lisa Jackson, and Laurell K Hamilton.  There are definitely a lot of other authors I enjoy reading as well, but these are the few I noticed I had the most books from.

Charlaine Harris is an author I can never get enough from.  I love the Sookie Stackhouse series ridiculously, but the Harper Connelly, Lily Bard, and Aurora Teagarden series are really awesome too!  One of the many things I love about her writing is it has some bits of a love story in it, it's about supernatural things, and they can be really serious or really funny all at the same time.  Another thing that's great is that though it's totally fantasy, the characters are believable.  The relationships of the characters aren't all perfect with hearts and flowers.  I actually really don't like reading only about undying love and romance.  It just has such a hollow ring to it.  I will be very sad when the Sookie Stackhouse series is finished.  However, for now, I will just jump in excitement for the new book to be released on May 1 (already got it pre-ordered on my Nook!)

Dean Koontz is the one author I have followed religiously from high school till now.  There is a very good chance that I have read almost every book he has written.  He was my hands down favorite author for years.  One of the things that I have always loved about his books are that the end is always happy.  Or mostly happy.  You can guarantee that the main characters will live and the problem will be resolved.  Sometimes, knowing everything will work out by the end of the book is so comforting. 

Unlike Dean Koontz, with Stephen King you never really know how the end will turn out in his books.  Stephen King is a phenomenal writer with an imagination that blows my mind.  To live in his head would be both fascinating and frightening.  This past winter, I went on a Stephen King binge and finally read a bunch of his popular books that I hadn't read before.  I also caught up with a few of my favorites.  I believe my favorite book by Stephen King is still "Salem's Lot".  It was my favorite back in high school too (see I loved vampires long before they became so cool!)

Throughout the years, I have amassed a huge collection of Iris Johansen's books.  I know there has to be an order to her Eve Duncan books, but I seem to never quite get the timeline and have read them all out of order.  Someday, I will figure it out and read them all in succession (you can see my obsessive compulsive tendencies coming out).

Kay Hooper started off writing love stories, but she has this amazing series called the Bishop series.  So far there are 11 books, I believe.  I have every one of them.  I've really enjoyed this series and hope to here more from her soon as she hasn't written much in the last years.  The series is about a paranormal division of the FBI.  All of the agents have some sort of extra sense like being a medium or having ESP.  The books are all about how they use their gifts to solve crimes.  They really are great books.  She also wrote a two book series called "Once a Thief" and "Always a Thief".  These two books are about a world famous thief named "Quinn".  They are light hearted and a lot of fun to read.

Just recently, within the last year or two, I started reading all of Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series.  A long time ago, I purchased one of the books in this series not realizing it was the 7th or so book in the series.  I really enjoyed it, but I guess I didn't seek out the rest of the books right away.  The series is about Anita Blake who is a vampire hunter and raises the dead.  She solves crimes and tends to the politics of the vampire and shifter community.  Later in the series, she also becomes a succubus.  Admittedly, after this turn of events, the books become a bit sexually graphic (OK, a bit is a gross understatement), but the books still are quite fascinating and an enjoyable read.

I really do love reading.  I love that you can find yourself in a whole different world.  Reading has always been a favorite past time of mine and it's the perfect way to relax.  For those of you that know me, you also know that I am ridiculously fast reader.  I am also extremely anal and won't start a new book till the last is finished.  I also feel the need to read every book in a series and/ or every book by any such author.  Clearly, I put a lot of thought into this hobby!  Hahaha!  If you like the genre of books I read, feel free to ask for some suggestions, I have lots of favorites to chose from, as well as feel free to give me any new ideas.  I'm always looking for the next great book!!! 
This series is so good.  It's fun, suspenseful, and sexy! 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete