Thursday, April 5, 2012

Attack of the ants....

Yesterday was a fairly normal day.  I normally work 9-1pm.  Got home, ran around trying to get dinner in the crock pot before I had to take A (husband) to work at 1:30pm.  I won't say it was my best meal ever, but hey, it was quick and allowed me to mess around in my garden to be rather than making dinner.  It was a recipe I found in my crock pot bible..."Fix it and Forget it"....it was chicken, a can of french onion soup, one can of cream of mushroom soup and a little white wine.  I serve it over rice.  Ok, done with my food side bar.  I made some progress in my garden!!  Right now I am tearing the heck out of a flower bed near my garage.  In the past, it has helped solidify my trashy neighbor status in the neighborhood.  Seriously, this "flower bed" is a freaking nightmare.  Being the ambitious person that I am (sometimes), I decided to tear it all out (YIKES!) and plant a veggie garden there.  Really, it is an amazing area.  I like to think I'm about half way done tearing stuff out, but deep down I know I did the easy half and have a decent amount of work ahead of me.  I keep thinking I should consult some experts on how to lay out my veggie garden.  But really, the idea of planning it all out is a little too much for me.  I'm feeling more a "fly by the seat of my pants" attitude to learning to garden.  I think A might be totally shocked that I am actually working so hard to get this done.  Hahahaha.  I am notorious for starting outdoor projects and then never keeping up with it.  Granted, at this point, we are at the very beginning of the season!  I better not make any promises I can't keep!  Maybe putting this into words on the Internet will force me to stick to it!   Anyway, I've strayed from the funny story I wanted to write.....

At nap time, I went to put L to bed.  He started getting all excited and yelling, "MOMMY, there's a bug in my bed"!!!!  So I looked and there was a teeny little black ant.  I squished it and didn't think anything of it.  I finally got L in the bath (he was bouncing off the walls last night!) and went to his room to arrange his bed.  I noticed a few more ants in his bed.  I looked on the wall and there were a couple there too.  I started to freak a little.  I am not afraid of ants or anything, I just know my kid and that there is not a chance in hell he'd sleep with bugs!  I tried moving his toddler bed away from the window (normally it's in front of the window....probably where the ants are coming from).  I thought maybe he might sleep in his big bed (till I saw an ant there too!)  I asked him if he'd sleep with me, I was answered with a solid "NO!!"  He saw his toddler bed moved he said "No way....put my bed back!"  Hahahaha.  I called my mom because she was on her way to Walmart and begged for some nontoxic ant killer.  What a job...hahaha....apparently there is no such thing.  I googled ants and was told to try drawing lines in baking soda because ants don't like the feel of it on their feet.  It was all pretty funny because I was freaking out and trying not to get L all hyped up.  I was on the phone saying, "there are A-N-T-S in his B-E-D!!!!"  My mom saved the day with some childproof ant traps.  She held one up and said maybe they are childproof, but I have my doubts that it's L-proofed!  Hahahaha....so we hid them behind his furniture.  Thankfully, I didn't see any signs of ants this morning.  Crisis averted.  Maybe not in the least dramatic way, but averted none the less!  Oh, by the way, A thinks there's a good chance my tearing up the flower bed is what got the ants all riled up.  Nice one, Maggie!

No comments:

Post a Comment